You are here
Established in 1831, RUSI is an independent institute with a mission to inform, influence and enhance public debate on a safer and more stable world. In 2016, RUSI staff launched an exercise to refine and articulate the Institute’s core values in a modern setting. The initiative followed an Institute-wide discussion at RUSI’s ‘away day’ last September. It was a collaborative effort involving junior and senior members of staff from various departments across the Institute. RUSI’s three core values and aims are:
FULFIL RUSI’S CHARTER AND MISSION
- Abide by RUSI’s charitable status and provide a public benefit.
- Respect RUSI’s historical legacy while also looking to the future.
2. Thought Leadership and Independence
STAY AHEAD OF CHANGE
- Conduct original, evidence-based research on critical national and international defence and security issues.
- Disseminate the results to enhance the public debate and promote constructive policy options.
- Be innovative, entrepreneurial and agile in response to a fluid and evolving security environment.
- Ensure financial and intellectual independence, as well as accountability and transparency of funding and activities.
3. Trust and Collaboration
PROMOTE AN INCLUSIVE, TRUSTED COMMUNITY
- Maintain a reputation as an honest broker and trusted partner, and engage a diverse network of people and ideas.
- Honour RUSI’s founding as a members’ institute, while also convening a wider network to encourage fresh thinking and inter-disciplinary approaches.
- Develop young talent in the full range of RUSI activities to ensure continuity of purpose.
- Ensure a culture of respect, collaboration, professionalism and compassion, inside and outside the Institute.
- Demonstrate self-discipline in adherence to these values, while maintaining a sense of humility and humour.