Last month, Dr. Tobias Feakin spoke at the Defence, National Security and Climate Change Workshop, held in Washington D.C. in June alongside speakers including:
- § Major General Richard Engel (Rtd). - Director, Climate Change and State Stability Program, National Intelligence Council.
- § Jonathan Pershing - Deputy Special Envoy for Climate Change, U.S. Department of State.
- § Tom Hicks - Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Energy, U.S. Navy.
- § Hon. Sharon Burke - Assistant Secretary of Defence for Operational Energy Plans & Programs, U.S. Department of Defence.
- § Senator Bernie Sanders - (I-Vermont).
During his visit to Washington, Dr. Feakin was also invited to brief Jonathan Pershing, US Deputy Special Envoy for Climate Change, at the US State Department on all of the previous and current research work of the RUSI Environmental Change and Security Programme. Additionally, a detailed briefing on all of RUSI's work was presented to Alice Hill, Senior Counsellor to the Secretary, Office of the Secretary at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Interest was also expressed in the RUSI's latest project, 'Climate Change, Migration and Security: Best Practice Policy and Operations Options for Mexico'.