A secure and resilient energy infrastructure is vital to national security and a strong economy. In recent years, the energy debate has tended to be framed in economic and environmental terms, and the concept of energy security as part of our wider national security has seldom received the attention it deserves.
In this wide-ranging discussion, the panellists reflect on some of the key issues that need to be addressed as part of the wider energy debate, including:
- How we can guarantee the resilience and security of supply
- The need to avoid increasing strategic dependence and how we can encourage our allies to diversify
- Meeting our environmental targets while maintaining a strong enough economy to ensure adequate defence and security
- Attracting sufficient capital in a robust, dependable regulatory framework to create a resilient energy infrastructure for the future.
The panellists are:
- Rear Admiral Michael Hewitt, Co-Founder and CEO, IP3
- Jason Mann, Senior Managing Director, Regulated Industries and Energy Markets Group, FTI Consulting
- Ilesh Patel, Partner Energy, Utilities and Resources, Baringa
- Mark Bentley - Guggenheim Partners
- Peter Atherton - Senior Energy Industry Commentator
The webinar is chaired by The Rt Hon Dr Liam Fox MP, former Defence Secretary and, subsequently, Secretary of State for International Trade.
Unlock content by joining RUSIView membership options
Join the World’s Leading Defence and Security Community
- A busy programme of members' only events
- Access to a suite of RUSI publications
- Access to experts, networks and research teams