The challenges facing navies today and tomorrow are intricate and multi-faceted. They are also highly contextual. Whilst some European states are concerned with how to implement carrier air power, others are more concerned with constabulary missions in the Mediterranean: Baltic navies, by comparison, continue to be vexed by an appropriate response to revanchist Russian activities in confined and shallow waters. Further afield, navies are occupied with war fighting capabilities that focus on defending space and people rather than ‘informationising’ the battlespace.
The First Sea Lord/RUSI International Sea Power Conference will provide an excellent conceptual component to the already strong maritime element of DSEI 2015, which will include visiting naval vessels and waterborne demonstrations.
The conference will hear from a variety of very senior naval leaders from around the world, including speakers from China, India, USA, Brazil, Mexico and Japan, on their specific concerns, challenges and approaches for the future. Naval professionals wanting to hear from leaders in the naval sector can register for a delegate place here or can upgrade their existing DSEI 2015 badge to gain access to this topical conference.
Three panel sessions will be bookended by keynote addresses from British decision-makers and leaders, including Admiral Sir George Zambellas, First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff. Sessions and keynotes will be hosted by academics and scholars tasked with delving the detail of navalese and holding speakers to account.
Session 1: A Sea Change in European Sea Power Orthodoxy? Session 2: Growing Naval Powers Session 3: The Great Challenges – Naval Power in the Indian and Pacific Oceans
This year’s speakers include:
- Keynote: Admiral Sir George Zambellas KCB DSC ADC DL FRAeS, First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff of the Royal Navy
- Captain (CN) Olivier Lebas, French Navy
- Admiral Carlos Ortega Muñiz, Alternate Permanent Representative to IMO, Mexican Navy
- Vice Admiral Umio Otsuka, COS, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force
- Vice Admiral Yuan Yubai, North Sea Fleet Commander, People’s Liberation Army Navy
- Rear Admiral Jeff Harley, Assistant Deputy Chief of Naval Operations (Operations, Plans and Strategy), U.S. Navy
To register now to attend the conference, or for more details please click here