This RUSI conference will bring together the leading figures from the military, academic, policy and industry spheres. Discussion will encompass the issues raised by the ever-increasing use of civilian actors in stabilisation operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Key questions will be asked of the Reserve Forces and private sector community with discussions encompassing:
- The concept of Sponsored Reserves
- Incorporation of civilian capabilities into military doctrine
- Different state approaches to employing civilians
- The development of best practice contracting
- National legislation regarding the use of security and military contractors
- The near, medium and long-term possibilities for military-civilian partnership
Confirmed Speakers Include:
- Lieutenant General William B Caldwell IV, Commander of the NATO Training Mission and Combined Security Transition Command – Afghanistan
- Major General Simon Lalor, Assistant Chief of the Defence Staff (Reserves and Cadets), UK MoD
- Major General Jeff Mason, Assistant Chief of the Defence Staff (Logistics Operations), UK MoD
- Peter Smart, Chief Executive, Aspire Defence Ltd.
- Richard Teuten, Senior Visiting Fellow, RUSI
- Major General (Retd) Chris Steirn CBE, Business Development Director, KBR
Set against the backdrop of a climate of impending financial austerity, a General Election and subsequent Defence Review, this timely conference will provide an insightful view of the future of the vital role of civilian actors in military operations.
Following the conference, in summer 2010, a RUSI Occasional Paper will be published addressing the ideas that emerge from the day and subjecting them to further research and analysis.
Sponsorship opportunities are available. For further details, please contact Olivier Grouille, Head, Land Operations and Capabilities by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)20 7747 4960