Following the 2008 RUSI Space Conference, which saw the launch of the Space for Defence and Security paper, as well as the underlying theme of international co-operation for space control, the RUSI Space and UK National Security Conference 2011 will focus on national dependencies and building resilience.
2010 has seen the launch of the UK's National Security Strategy (NSS), where 'severe disruption to information received, transmitted or collected by satellites, possibly as the result of a deliberate attack by another state' has been categorised as a Tier 2 threat, demonstrating the seriousness of the UK's current dependency on satellite services. The Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR) subsequently announced that a study looking at space dependency and resilience, will report in May/June 2011.
The RUSI Space and UK National Security conference will therefore discuss the dependencies and threats the UK currently faces from space, such as space weather, space debris and cyber attack, as well as identifying risks to ground stations and other critical nodes. It will also explore methods to improve national resilience through space situational awareness, multi-national agreements on the use of space and collaboration on international projects. International speakers will also discuss space programmes in their respective nations and efforts to mitigate the threats to government services and privately owned critical national infrastructure.
Confirmed Speakers Include:
- Richard McKinney, Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force for Space Programs, US DoD
- Lieutenant General Susan Helms, Commander, Joint Functional Component Command-Space, and Commander, 14th Air Force, USAF
- Air Vice-Marshal Baz North, Assistant Chief of Air Staff, Ministry of Defence
- Brigadier General Gerhard Schulz, Director of the German Armed Forces Transformation Center
- Brigadier General Yves Arnaud, French Air Force, Commander Joint Space
- Colonel Andre Dupuis, Director of Space Development, Canadian Department of National Defence
- Richard Crowther, UK Space Agency
- Dr J Douglas Beason, Chief Scientist, US Air Force Space Command
- Jon Shears, Industrial Chair, Space Industries Information Exchange
- Lieutenant Colonel Tom "Solo" Single, Space Protection Programme, Space Command, USAF
- Stuart Eves, Science and Technology Facilities Council
- Graham Wright, Northrop Grumman UK and former Deputy Director, Office of Cyber Security
This conference will be held in the same week as the annual RUSI Missile Defence Conference. For more information, please contact Elizabeth Quintana on firstname.lastname@example.org.