08:00, 10 May 2012
HMS President, Victoria Embankment, EC4Y 0HJ
Link to map: multimap
About the event:
2012 marks the fiftieth anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis, one of the most significant events of the Cold War. Since that time, changes in international security dynamics have catalysed shifts in attitude towards nuclear stability. This trend looks set to continue amidst high hopes for further nuclear disarmament by key states, and increasing concern surrounding proliferation of nuclear technology and materials to new actors.
Taking stock after half a century, the second UK PONI Annual Conference considered a range of issues associated with nuclear stability in both the military and civilian realms. Panel topics included:
- Crisis and Stability: Observations from the last 50 years
- Nuclear Energy and Non-Proliferation
- Flashpoints - Threats to Stability
- Geopolitics and Regimes
The Tricycle Theatre offered a lunchtime performance of 'The Letter of Last Resort', a play by David Greig.
- The Rt. Hon. Lord Hutton of Furness, Chairman of the Nuclear Industries Association
- Rear Admiral S J Lloyd, Chief of Strategic Systems Executive
- Sir Franklin Miller KBE, Non-resident Senior Advisor, CSIS
- The Right Honourable Bruce George MP
To find out more about the conference please visitEvent manager: Lynn Anderson, 01793 785648